Thursday, November 20, 2008

HP Mini 1000 selling at Harvey Normans

I saw the HP Mini 1000 at Harvey Norman, Centrepoint branch today. It was the black model selling for S$799, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD. The usual, loaded with Windows XP Home.





I have to say, in the looks department, it definitely oozes style. It was displayed next to the Asus EeePC 1000H and the Asus just came across as 'square'. It was like a super model next to Ugly Betty. This is without a doubt one slick looking machine. The nice pattern on the cover just adds to the eye-candy.

Sadly, I do have a gripe. After a closer look, I started noticing the 'cheap' feel about it. I tried it out the keyboard, typed out some random character, and felt it lacking somehow. The feel felt like cheap plastic, click-clacking, and the way the keys are flushed to each other, somehow just doesn't endear me to it. I found it uncomfortable, hard to type, and compared with the MSI's keyboard, I think it is far inferior.

But, if you're looking for something that looks good, and complements your fashion sense, this is about as good as it get in the current crop of netbooks. It's like high-heels. It makes the girl look good, but it's really uncomfortable to walk in.